Sunday, August 14, 2011


My rating: 5 of 5 stars


In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. 
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her. Debut author Veronica Roth bursts onto the YA scene with the first book in the Divergent series—dystopian thrillers filled with electrifying decisions, heartbreaking betrayals, stunning consequences, and unexpected romance.

I thought that I might not like it as much as others were projecting how enthralling the book was. Divergent is the second book I read under Dystopia and the first series didn't convinced me that I like Dystopia at all. So I hesitated buying this book because of over-rated series that I tried. But I am so glad I did. I was astonished at this book.

After reading this book I felt I was Anton Ego after tasting Ratatouille. It rocked to the core of my being. Let me tell you why.

**spoiler alert**

Do not read if you have not read the book yet.

1. The cover didn’t promise a superb story. When I finished the book, I thought the cover didn't justify the entirety of what it's covering. So, there was a surprised element.

2. The novel was written in present tense, which is the first for me. I felt I was the one in it. You know how effective was it for me? Last night, sleep evaded me when I stopped reading it on page 378, which was on chapter 29. So when I forced myself to sleep, I had my mind swirling to the simulation scenes and jolted awake in the wee hours, short of breath. I stared at the darkness of my room, panicked at the thought that someone would jumped at me. Heard the banging on our front door and my mind was thinking why our dogs were not barking? I thought they must have shot the dogs! (Eventually, I realized that the banging was just from the car doors. And the dogs weren't barking because no one was forcing their way to me. Heck! That was scary and paranoiac.)

3. Although most of the chapters were for how Tris was transformed from Abnegation to Dauntless, I enjoyed it. It was as if I was watching G.I. Jane with her training. The thrill was there, I was in the rollercoaster of a ride. I was imagining myself jumping to and from the train which I think I can do since the train I normally ride on was so slow anyway, but because the cars are sealed off and I am not a dare-devil type, I won't try.

4. Mostly, I found the romance in a YA corny, but in here, it just fit right. And I think I was envious of Tris, he got the main man, the gorgeous hunk! (ikaw na!). But what's the big deal on a two-years gap relationship? It's not even near the May-December love affair.

5. The world Veronica Roth created in this story, I can envision (in detail) in my mind. The factions were cleverly thought, the plot of revolution and how it was executed was mind blowing it put me on the edge of the seat. I was tensioned when everything turned bad and was exasperated every time someone attempted to lure me out from reading.

6. I was in love with my mom, after reading the part where Tris' mom rescued her. I looked her way while she was ironing my clothes and me reading cozily on the sofa. (Some kind of a daughter I am, huh?). But this made me realized how a mother sacrificed for their children.

7. And many more….I can't explain how I love this book. I hated Peter, Eric and Jeannine. I like the values I get from this book. I was relating it to the values my parents taught me, which was quite similar. Think of others before yourself, but we can be out of the box too. So I guess I am Divergent too. (maki-ride ang eh, ha ha). And there were wise lines to go by too. Like "I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different."

~Highlights for me~

- Tris in her aptitude test.

- Tris to be the first to jump off the roof.

- Tris climbing the Ferris wheel followed by Four, eventually giving instructions to defeat Eric's team and winning some of Dauntless-born initiates' regard.

- Tris standing up for Al and replacing him in the target area, to prove Eric wrong.

- Tris being almost thrown in the chasm by Peter, Drew and Al (you, ***** traitor) and being rescued by almost dementedly angry Four.

- Tris being in Four's fear simulation. **kilig** and so many dear moments after that...

- And waking up with others like remote controlled robot~ it was the start of the kick-ass action pack.

But I felt it wasn't finished yet though as I flipped the pages I found out it was! How can you this to me, Veronica Roth? **whimpers** It was not the end yet...c'mon, where's the second boooook????

I only gave 2 books with 6 stars so far. And this is the 3rd book i give it.


1 comment:

  1. Hi, the book elf! We're happy to let you know that we've included The Book Elf in the list of Pinoy book blogs at Read Philippines.com. We'd love to have you join our growing community of Pinoy readers!

    ReplyDelete