Saturday, January 1, 2011

THE END OF THE HARRY POTTER SERIES


 Warning: This review contains spoiler!

I have just finished reading the final book of the phenomenal and much-celebrated series of Harry Potter. I just can’t believe it’s all over. Mixed emotions swelled in me. Sadness. Happiness. Relief. Longingness. Grief. Disbelief. Regret. And I can’t let go of the book. I closed my eyes, held the book close to my heart and shed a tear. It’s finally over, yet I don’t want it to end.

I reread the last part. I wanted to hold on. I felt I have lived in Hogwarts too. I learned magic, friendship, courage, loyalty and trust. I have experienced lies, struggles and felt emotions that I have not felt in real world. I have lived in the world of Harry Potter. I was so sad when I closed the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on its finality and put it in my bookshelf where all the other series are neatly filed.

I recounted the highlights this book for me such as follows:

  • Dobby being very loyal to Harry Potter. Even if he was a free-elf, he chose to serve Harry Potter. He died in saving the boy and his friends from the claws of Death Eaters in his previous master’s manor, the Malfoys. Harry Potter was totally lamenting for Dobby that he manually dug his grave for Dobby and gave him a proper burial.
  • The tales of Black’s house-elf Kreacher, and how his attitude changed dramatically towards his master  Harry Potter after he received a Black family crest given by latter. The turn of leaf was so impressive and I salute to Kreacher’s loyalty to his old master Rumulus Black.
  • The sacrifices of Professor Severus Snape for the sake of Harry Potter and the utmost loyalty to the late Headmaster Dumbledore was astounding. I was really anticipating on this twist…but when it was finally revealed to Harry Potter, I felt deep sympathy for Snape.  My heart was broken and I felt regret and sadness after Harry Potter saw the real Snape in Dumbledore’s Pensive after Snape’s death.
  • Long before, I was puzzled why Neville Longbottom was sorted to Gryffindor house. He was so forgetful, clumsy and fidgety. But in this book, Neville transformed to be a Hero. The part where he stepped forward to stand up for Hogwarts was awesome, not to mention when he struck Voldermort’s snake Nagini on its head with the Gryffindor sword.

This book is truly amazing! Kudos to J.K. Rowling!  She knows how to reconcile all the hanging questions in a reader’s mind. The Deathly Hallow is my most favorite book (actually, all the Harry Potter Books are my favorite books).

And this is my after thought:

  • Ron is a half-brained git. But he was funny.
  • Neville Longbottom could have been the Chosen One.
  • Confusing names of the offsprings.
  • Snape’s  portrait is in the Hogwart’s Headmaster office’s wall.
  • Dumbledore is not gay, even though J.K. Rowling said so.
  • And many more after thoughts….


My aunt told me that Harry Potter books are evil books. I said they are fiction, created by a very creative mind. Of course, one must know how to separate reality from entertainment. But one does not fail to hope that he has magic as Harry Potter’s.  There are also great values that any muggle person could learn in reading these books. As I quote Dumbledore’s "There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."  Just one of my favorites! So many wise sayings.

Anyway, all readers knew how great the books were. The previous movies were nothing compared to the books! Some just made me frustrated because they have omitted so many relevant scenes. So, I am glad they finally made the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallow movie as near as the book. I definitely recommend Harry Potter to the young and the old. You’ll never regret buying the series as it will be passed on from generations to generations.

Accio book!

Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Author : J.K. Rowling
Series: 7th book of the Harry Potter
Pages: 759

1 comment:

  1. A heartfelt review! I want to reread the series. Just like you, I had mixed emotions after I finished the series. Thanks to J.K. Rowling for sharing her wonderful imagination! :)

    ReplyDelete