Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


Title : The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Pages: 363 pages
Series: The Iron Fey


Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
Warning : May contain spoilers!

My thoughts on this book:

It struck me strange to have a villain as the title of this book. Plus his appearance came in at the latter part of the book, so the impact was really not overwhelming for me. I hated the fact that the faery story was contaminated with technology. It was very odd and repulsive for me. Then came the reason the Iron King had lured Meghan Chase to his realm was pretty ordinary and lame. He wanted her to be his queen? What the heck! I was suspecting a more grand plot because I admit, the book kept me thinking where would the story lead me. I was clueless . I can't predict the plot, that's why I liked it from the start. The story flowed like water on the river. Smooth and fast. The romance was amazing (I will look forward to the development of Meghan and Ash's love) , it was withheld because of court complication, making it more interesting. I have to give that one to the author. How he described the characters were very striking, as if I was staring at their faces.

I was feeling uncomfortable with the first person story telling. I had it with the Bartimaeus Trilogy and liked it. But with the Iron King? I find it weird! I don't know if the author is trying to be funny with this line on the verge of desperation : Someone screamed in rage and horror, and I realized it was me. WTF?

Nevertheless, I liked it when she associated Puck in the classic A Midsummer Night's Dream~~makes me want to read it too. Then the cat makes me think of Alice in Wonderland. And Meghan Chase makes me want to knock her head with my fist to her senses because of many deals she offered that she can do without, which makes Julie Kagawa an effective writer. Though it alerted me somehow that she used "already" in Meghan's sentences a lot and incorrectly.

So the total verdict, it was a pretty good read. Though it made me feel that Nevernever has been infiltrated by The Terminator and Transformers. That's why I didn't make it a perfect 5 rating. 

Will I buy the second book? Definitely. I just hope it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment