Monday, March 28, 2011

Eon by Alison Goodman

My rating:  6 of 5 stars
Title: EON: The Dragoneye Reborn (The Two Pearls of Wisdom)
Author: Alison Goodman
Pages: 531
Series: Eon Duology

Twelve-year-old Eon has been in training for years. His intensive study of Dragon Magic, based on East Asian astrology, involves two kinds of skills: sword-work and magical aptitude. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye – an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune.

But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a boy for the chance to become a Dragoneye. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured. When Eon’s secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. 
Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life.

"Don't judge the book by its cover."

That was the infamous quotation that did not work for the book EON: The Dragoneye Reborn. From the book cover, I knew that it was a fantastic read. And it did not let me down. As I put down the book, I was trembling with excitement to write this review.

I have to warn you, this is a spoiler review.

I picked up the book initially in NBS and eyed the hardbound beautiful cover. It was love at first sight. Whenever I go to NBS in G5 Ayala, I always grab the book and look at the Dragoneye on the cover and run my fingers to feel it. However, I fancied the paperback, which cover has an equal beauty on it. I kept coming back just to look at it.

Then, finally, I went to Powerbooks in Greenbelt and started reading it there while waiting for a friend. It was a smooth-flow read. It downed me abruptly to the ancient Chinese world of Dragons. Although it was fictional, it felt very realistic. I started remembering Chinese zodiac signs. So I need to have this book. I am not into horoscope but I was born in the year of the Tiger, and I could relate to the characters that a Tiger possessed. I don't know if it make sense at all, but perhaps you know what I mean. I finally bought it just a week ago and read it with utter excitement. Then, I was immersed in the rollercoaster of emotions and sheer anticipation.

I read it slowly. I wanted to be engulfed in the world of Eon and don't want a thing to escape me. I wanted to know what's going to happen but I held back. So, imagine how agitated I was to move forward while I was containing my excitement.

It has a great appeal to me, like animation Mulan has had. A girl pretendng to be a boy trying to prove herself. But this book was not it. Eona didn't do it on her own accord. She was trapped... nay, rather destined to take the role of a Dragoneye. It was screaming all over Eona. Her ability to see all the dragon spirits made her special. Then, she had awaken the spirit of the great Mirror Dragon. That part made me goose bumped! It was a sweet revelation as I also thought she lost in the selection for apprentice Dragoneye. I silently praised Alison Goodman. She was so clever. The plot, the story, the description, all was thought very shrewdly indeed! I even shared the experience with my parents!

Then, due to ignorance of her Dragon, Eona made a very stupid thing that made me simmer in frustration. I wanted to throw my book. But since I love my book, I just closed it and went to bed fuming. Now, with this, I realized how good the book was that it affected me so much. Of, course Eona didn't know that her Dragon was a female dragon, but I do. I have read some of the reviews with spoilers. Yet still, It didn't prevent me from wanting to hit Eona because of her stupidity. I was seething all night.

I resumed reading in the morning during breakfast. I was less angry with Eona. I wondered to myself, how can a book so amazingly or irritatingly affects me, beats me. I read on and found myself sitting on the edge of the seat. It was action-packed and I felt I was watching Queen Seondok or Jumong during escape and battles. Even the cover was pressing in my imagination of how a Dragon spirit presented itself with the Dragoneye. I even can feel the pain in my hips or my spirit drawn. But that was foolish, wasn't it? (please remind me, it's just a story, my goodness!) The climax was exhilarating. I wanted to jump up and down and made me want to scream. Clever. Amazing. Intricate. I loved the book! No doubt, this book is my best book evah!

If there is 6 star rating, I'll give it. The story promises a great ending in the sequel. I will wait in great expectations.




View all my reviews

2 comments: