Sunday, June 5, 2011

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Pages: 374
Series: The Hunger Games Series

 In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 
Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.



This was my first read of a dystopian novel. In the first few pages, I didn’t like how it was written because I couldn't grasp all the information the author was throwing me as reader. I felt bored yet forced to digest it. But I read on since the reviews that I have read were praising TGH and readers were smitten with it (except KD, who I think gave it 2 stars).

Eventually it caught my attention. I started from forced to engaged.  While reading it, I felt I was playing MMORPG in a battlefield under the PVP (player versus player) league. I am so into online gaming, so I can relate to the survival games. And liked reading THG.

It wouldn't be a WOW ~ wow for me, but I still give it a five.  I thought about the movies that was shown for survival and only-one-will-survive thingy, yeah this book was something like that, although  THG participants were juvenile. The character Katniss was likable but dense when it comes to love. But I was so pleased to her person as a big sister. She has a kind aura resonating, even Rue recognized  her as ally to depend on. She was a no-nonsense type and I like how she reckons. Unlike other heroines in other books who are silly, gullible and reckless, she was not.  She thought sensibly and she was strong in will. I liked the other characters too (I was suspecting some of them will appear in book 2 or 3 with a pertinent role).  Perhaps the reason why she was wise even for a young age was (not because of the writer, silly, though her perception of this quality was credible) her responsibility in life. She was drove to act that way. And true, even in reality, those who are breadwinners in their early age mature easily, thus have better judgment in life than those who were ensconced in their parents' care.

The angle of romance in this book has a great relevance to the game so I do not find it corny.  In fact, it was brilliant. How both Katniss and Peeta saw it in different light was classic. One was in love head-over-heels, one saw it as an opportunity  or saw it surreal. Tsk. Pity for the broken hearted.

Overall, the experience reading this book was pretty entertaining. There was glamour and there was poverty.  The love story was half-baked so I think I have to read on. I want to see what happened to Peeta and his love for Katniss. I want to see Katniss and her life as a winner in THG. I want to know how she will see Gale (you know, the OTHER guy- though I suspect he was more inclined to Marge than Katniss) after THG. I wanted to know if the mockingjay pin has more relevance than just a mere pin attached to her lapel. I want to know about Cinna's part ( I suspect he has more to it than merely a neophyte stylist). And damn him who blurted out when I was reading THG that District 13 will revenge! And I wonder is Katniss will go to District 11 since I heard of rebellion stuff from District 13. Darn it! Why shouldn't I just read on?

And so I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment